Design Book Club is an opportunity for creatives to learn about a new topic through reading and discussion with fellow creatives. Just like any other book club, Design Book Club will select readings on design topics such as advertising, UX/UI, design thinking, freelance, and more. After the allotted reading time, the group will meet up for in depth discussion. Readings will include books and articles.
How it works:
• Selected reading will be posted with links to buy or rent.
• Sign up! Design Book Club groups are limited to 10 people for more intimate discussion.
• Read! Each reading will have different allotted time based on reading length.
• Meetup! After the allotted time, the group will meet in person for discussion. Questions and prompts are sent ahead of time.
• Vote! Poll for next selected reading.
Current Reading Selection:
Designing for Emotion by Aarron Walter
Go beyond the basics—functionality, reliability, and usability—and design for humans, not machines. Learn how to express your brand’s personality and delight your audience through emotional design.
Your users will fall in love with your sites and apps with the principles packed into this brief book. Drawing on case studies, psychological concepts, and other scientific data, Aarron Walter provides accessible, memorable strategies to help you evoke a real connection—from one person to another.
About the Author:
Aarron Walter is the VP of design education at InVision and previously founded the UX practice at MailChimp. Aarron taught design at colleges in the US and Europe for nearly a decade, and speaks at conferences around the world. His design guidance has helped the White House, the US Department of State, and dozens of startups.
Where to buy:
Book Discussion Meetup:
Thursday, January 31st
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
De Fer Coffee & Tea
2002 Smallman St, Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Event imagery created by AIGA Member, Josie Norton. Check out her work.